Hackathon “DRR CliCK for your better future” among youth and students of Kyrgyzstan
November 23, 2022
The “Ala-Too” International University , “UN-Women”, the UN WFP in Kyrgyzstan and the Alliance of Universities of the Kyrgyz Republic for Green Economy and Sustainable Development (AVZUR) invite to the hackathon students and interested youth who want to make their creative contribution to changing the behavior of the population to adapt to climate change, reduce the risks of disasters and emergencies situations.
CliCK (Climate Change Knowledge) is a hackathon for creating projects over a certain period of time. A team consisting of 3-5 people should include a designer, a marketer, a programmer and an ecologist.
The main goal is to create information and educational content and methods of its mass dissemination to increase the knowledge and awareness of the youth of the Kyrgyz Republic, as well as through the products obtained to influence the behavior of local residents on:
- Disaster risk reduction through climate knowledge
- The impact of climate change on the environment and its consequences
- Prevention of emergency situations in the regional aspect
- Climate change and its impact on different spheres of women's and men's lives: water resources, air quality, agriculture, food and food security
- The importance of reducing the carbon footprint of every Kyrgyz person and guests of the Republic
- The importance of reducing excessive consumption of meat products due to cultural foundations and the need for a balanced diet and the elimination of “hidden hunger”.
The event is being held with the financial support of the Swiss Agency for Cooperation and Development (SDC), within the framework of the project “Promotion of jointly developed measures for adaptation to climate change, taking into account gender and nutrition aspects”.
This initiative is aimed at reducing the risks of natural disasters and is a continuation of campaigns to change the behavior of the local population conducted in 11 pilot Aiyl Okmotu (AO). Also, representatives of each pilot AO, 2-3 people, including heads, activists and residents, will take part in the hackathon in order to localize and adapt products developed by students for use in pilot communities.
- Conducting an information and environmental game “Climate Fresco”.
- Conducting a 2-stage hackathon: “DRR CliCK for your better future”.
- Defense of the developed project proposals (concepts) and selection of the best ones for subsequent implementation within the framework of the project “Promotion of jointly developed measures for adaptation to climate change, taking into account gender aspects and nutritional characteristics”
- In a week, it is necessary to develop and test the product from scratch within the established time frame. Each team will be supervised by mentors, including experienced experts in the field of disaster reduction, climate change, IT specialists, as well as eco-activists
- At the end of the one-week period, each team must submit their developments, which will be evaluated by the jury members. As a result of the climate hackathon, the jury members will evaluate the developed products in three directions in the context of gender and behavioral changes:
- Disaster risk reduction through knowledge on the effects of climate change
- Climate change and its impact on different spheres of life: water resources, air quality in agriculture and the lives of Kyrgyz people
- Food and food safety
During the training, participants will learn about current tools for adaptation to climate change, emergency prevention and food security: from developing an information campaign strategy to working with decision makers, they will analyze real cases and develop their own projects.
Tasks of the climate hackathon “DRR CliCK for your better future”:
- To unite the youth of the Kyrgyz Republic to create innovative, creative approaches in the field of creating socially significant information products to solve existing problems on climate change, emergency prevention, disaster risk reduction and food and food security in the framework of society's adaptation to climate change in the Kyrgyz Republic
- Generate creative ideas for creating information and educational content for teenagers and young people, the regional population and their ways of promotion
- Develop a roadmap for information coverage of climate change issues and emergency prevention
- Immerse young people in the problems through game techniques
- To organize a bridge (platform, boiling point) for the exchange of ideas between young people and experienced ecologists and IT specialists in the field of climate change
- To propose a list and structure of information platforms for raising public awareness about adaptation to climate change, disaster risk reduction and emergency prevention aimed at changing behavior
Please send applications from university teams to participate in the hackathon by November 16, 2022, at 18:00 by filling out an online application: https://forms.gle/yiys4D79sr4qnwWV8.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Tel: +996 (772) 850-885 – Aliya; +996 (770) 483-636 – Aksana.
Date: November 26, 2022
Time: 8:30 - 18:00 a.m., p.m.
Venue: “SHERATON” Hotel
Date: December 4, 2022
Time: 09:30 - 15:00 a.m., p.m.
Venue: “Ala-Too” International University
Format of the event: offline.